POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] : And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg]
From: Bob H
Date: 5 Dec 2000 00:55:10
Message: <3a2c833e@news.povray.org>
My rendition, following Matt Giwer.
This is what I mentioned before that I had done a while back.  By using a
gradient pigment pattern for masking, in order to block the underlying overly
luminous night-lights map (this has that JPL one replacing the other wrongly
scaled map I had used before), placed under a slightly transparent surface
image map which in this animation is the darkened oceans by someone around
here.  Sorry, I forget the name and I don't want to guess wrong.
Not any easier to explain than that.
I was adjusting some on this while I had it out of mothballs anyhow and I
didn't get the shadow line exactly as I wanted but I had to give up and get
this over with for now.
Added note:  this might be difficult to discern well unless you either turn off
the room lights (at night anyway) or play full screen, or both.  Fast and
small.

Bob
--
omniVerse http://users.aol.com/persistenceofv/all.htm